Cookies are delicious! Whether as a snack or a dessert, we all have those memories from growing up of our favorite cookies gracing our lunch bags. I have numerous cookies I love – part of the reason I started Cookie of the Month – but none are more basic and craved than a simple chocolate chip. Everyone craves a different version of the cookie: soft, crunchy, flat, cake-like, dark, or light – there are too many variations.
While mine may not be perfect, I think they encompass many of the properties we all love. They’re slightly crisp on the edges but soft and chewy in the middle. This is a basic that never goes out of style: a simple and delicious chocolate chip cookie!
Disclaimer: While cooling, you probably won’t have many left since they are best served warm after all!
Watch how to make these chocolate chip cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp hot water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter and shortening until light, fluffy and incorporated. Add brown and white sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs, water, vanilla, and mix.½ cup butter, ¼ cup vegetable shortening, ¾ cup brown sugar, ¾ cup white sugar, 2 eggs, 1 ½ tbsp hot water, 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all dry ingredients and mix to incorporate. Then fold in chocolate chips by hand.2 ¼ cups flour, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, ¼ tsp baking powder, 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Using a small scoop, place tablespoon-size cookies on lined or greased cookie sheets. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Watch carefully – when outside of cookies are set and golden but the middle is soft, remove from oven. Let cool on pan for 3 minutes then cool completely on a rack.