Table of Contents
Cookies are the great equalizer of the baking world. No matter if you’re a confident baker or someone who’s a little more timid, we’ve all made cookies. Easier yet are refrigerator cookies: stored together then formed into logs, wrapped and chilled, these are the original slice and bake cookie. I don’t really know why they’ve seemed to go by the wayside because in their heyday, they were the cookie everyone was making. And might I just say, these chocolate chip and oatmeal refrigerator cookies are far from boring. They’re completed with browned butter and brown sugar, making them a strong contender for a perfect cookie!
These cookies store extremely well in the freezer. So if you want to whip up a batch of the dough and then freeze it, go right ahead.
But come on, you’re just going to want to eat them all!
Here’s how to make these oatmeal refrigerator cookies
Chocolate Chip & Oatmeal Refrigerator Cookies
- 1 cup browned butter cooled
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Allow to bubble and foam. After about 5 minutes, the foaming will lessen and the bottom of the skillet will show brown solids with the butter smelling nutty and looking golden. Scrape into a bowl and cool to a solid state.
- Cream the cooled brown butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine. Scrape sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix just to combine.
- Add rolled oats and chocolate chips. Mix to incorporate, finishing by hand to ensure it is well mixed.
- Divide dough in half and shape each half into a log. Wrap in parchment paper, twist the ends shut, and place in the refrigerator or airtight container (if wanting to store longer than 1 hour).
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice prepared cookies into ¼-inch thick and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the edges are set and the centers are just soft, 8-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on pan for 5 minutes.