Table of Contents
Cinco de Mayo may be over, but we tend to celebrate these flavors year-round with our favorite guacamole. This dip has recently gotten a bad rap with many store-bought spreads sporting multiple preservatives and fats. Avocados boast a host of nutrients and good fats that are needed in our diets. So when made with only fresh and simple ingredients, guacamole can be a guilt-free dip for any occasion. I keep avocados on hand so I can always have guacamole ready to calm those salty cravings!
Keeping the ingredients simple and fresh is the best way to enjoy guacamole (and to make it a healthy option). Buy your avocados before they become fully ripe so they may mature at your home. When you buy soft avocados in the store, they will usually be bruised and taste a touch bitter. Let them sit on your counter. When they are just a little soft to the touch, they are ready for use.
This is such a simple and fresh way to enjoy avocados, not that we needed an excuse! Serve with your favorite chip or, as a carb-free alternative, eat with cucumbers! No matter how you enjoy your guacamole, you will be sure to make this dip again and again!
How to Can Hot Pepper Mustard
Low-Sugar Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 5-6 green onions
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 5-6 avocados
- 1 tsp salt
- cumin to taste (optional)
- Take a knife and slice around the pit of the avocado and twist apart. Look for any bruises that may need to be removed with a spoon. Scoop the flesh out and place it in a bowl.5-6 avocados
- Squeeze lime juice directly on top of the avocados and sprinkle with salt.2 tbsp fresh lime juice, 1 tsp salt
- Use a small avocado or potato masher and mash the avocado to the consistency desired.
- Finely chop the onion and coarsely chop the cilantro.5-6 green onions, 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- Add cumin, if desired. It adds a nice, unique flavor to the guacamole.cumin
- Use the masher again to incorporate the onion and cilantro into the avocados.
- Let the guacamole chill for an hour so the flavors combine and become more intense. The lime juice and salt work to maintain the characteristically green color of the avocados.