Herb cheese biscuits for the win!
The prototypical Thanksgiving meal always has its staples. You know, those items that you just HAVE to have if you’re celebrating the American Thanksgiving. Obviously, there needs to be the requisite turkey, potatoes (like my twice baked sweet potato recipe!), and some variety of cranberry dish. It just wouldn’t be Turkey Day without these!
The sides can take a lot of time and preparation so when it comes to a bread – and for all those carb lovers out there, we all know that it’s a mandatory part of any meal – it can appear to be an afterthought in so many cases. Or sometimes its an even worse situation: something from one of poppable those cans (I won’t mention any brands). I totally understand having those items that can be a needed shortcut are helpful, but with this quick herb cheese biscuit recipe you now have no excuse! Seriously… none!
This year, with the express approval from my mom, I opted to switch up my family’s staple recipe with a few herbs and some cheese. This gives the biscuits a flavorful and moist texture that won’t put them on the sidelines. Instead, they’ll be the total star of the show! And you’ll be a Thanksgiving hero for making the best part!
Cheers to a happy Thanksgiving!
Watch how to make these herb cheese biscuits:
If you’re looking for additional Thanksgiving day recipes, I’ve got you covered. This year, I’m crushing on my twice baked sweet potatoes as well as turkey-shaped popcorn balls. Because, you know, popcorn + me = love!
As always, once you make these biscuits, make sure to let me know how the recipe turned out for you. Take a pic and tag it on Instagram (and maybe include some of your family if you’re making these for Thanksgiving)!
Herb Cheese Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp minced sage
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the minced herbs, onion powder, and Parmesan cheese. Whisk together.
- Add the butter pieces and cut the butter into the dough with a pastry cutter until only small pieces remain.
- In a separate container, combine the egg and buttermilk. Whisk to break up the egg.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and combine with a fork until it forms a shaggy dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the biscuit dough until it holds together. Pat into a circle about ½-inch thick.
- Cut with a 2- or 3-inch biscuit cutter and place biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue cutting biscuits. Once the biscuits have been cut, press together the remaining dough and press to ½-inch thick to cut the remaining biscuits.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with more buttermilk.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until puffed and golden with a crisp top.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and brush the tops with melted salted butter. Serve immediately.