I wouldn’t say I’m a margarita connoisseur, but I’ll always order a margarita. A good margarita has a tart bite from the lime juice which is balanced nicely by tequila. Nothing should be harsh or too much, but all ingredients should come together in perfect harmony.
A traditionalist will say that a good margarita should always be on the rocks. But I love to break any rule when it comes to food and drinks. So this recipe is an homage to my love for frozen margaritas. Frozen margaritas are made when all of the ingredients are blended together.
Some will say that this is a way to mask poor-quality ingredients. That may be true for some, but I believe this version can be just as good with quality ingredients. Whatever side of the fence you’re on, this is a great way to enjoy a margarita.
The ingredients in this blended margarita
- Oranges and limes are peeled and, instead of juicing, are added whole right to the blender. Blending the whole fruit came from a place of feeling like so much flavor is wasted when only the pulp is juiced. To be honest, a high-powered blender is a big help here.
- Blanco or silver tequila is my go-to for a clean tequila flavor. Silver tequila is not aged and stays clear, hence the “clean” flavor. If you’re not used to buying tequila, choose a mid-priced one. There’s no reason to blow the budget unless you enjoy sipping the liquor alone.
- Orange liqueur brings out and bolsters the raw orange flavor. This is in place of triple sec as I find that orange liqueur has a more nuanced flavor along with a slight sweetness.
- Agave syrup cuts through the sharpness of the citrus and lends some additional sweetness. If you don’t have agave syrup, you can also use a simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar boiled together).
- Ice is important! The correct amount of ice provides the margarita a consistency that’s more drinkable than a slurpy, but still icy.
A frozen margarita doesn’t have to be relegated to summer parties. I’m a year-round margarita drinker and proud of it! A frozen margarita is just plain fun, but this one also hits home with the delicious flavors! Happy sipping!
Whole Fruit Blended Margarita
- 2 oranges peeled
- 4 limes peeled
- 8 oz silver tequila
- 4 oz orange liqueur
- 2 oz agave syrup
- 6 cups ice
- In the blender canister, combine the oranges, limes, tequila, orange liqueur, agave syrup, and ice. Blend on high until smooth, 1-2 minutes.2 oranges, 4 limes, 8 oz silver tequila, 4 oz orange liqueur, 2 oz agave syrup, 6 cups ice
- Pour into salt-rimmed glasses and serve immediately.