What could be cuter than a pie disguised as a cookie?! I love taking something delicious and masquerading it in another form. These cookies are really just miniature pumpkin pies, but they’re also really easy to make. Dare I say easier than pie? Ha! Maybe not but thankfully, unlike a pie, they don’t have the guesswork to know when they’re done. As a bonus, you can walk and eat them at the same time – try and do that with a pie!
I know these are long instructions but they really are an easy cookie to make. Try them and you’ll love them!
Watch how to make these pumpkin pie cookies:
Pumpkin Pie Cookies
For the cookies
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 16 tbsp cold butter cut into small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 5-7 tbsp ice water
For the pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add butter and pulse until butter is cut into small pieces no larger than the size of peas. Then add egg yolks.
- Place on lid and with the processor running, dribble in water until the dough clears the sides and forms ball. Wrap dough in plastic and form into a disk. Place in refrigerator and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, remove from refrigerator and roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thickness.
- With a biscuit cutter, cut three-inch round cookies and place half of the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush cookies with 1 egg white mixed with 1 teaspoon water.
- With the other half of the cookies, create a frame by cutting the middle with one size smaller biscuit cutter.
- Place frame on the egg-washed cookie, sprinkle with sugar and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- While baking, make the filling by mixing together all the pumpkin pie filling ingredients until well combined.
- When cookies are finished, remove them from the oven. Cool for 5 minutes then fill with approximately 1 tablespoon of pie filling.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 8-10 minutes until the filling is just set.
- Remove and cool on pan for 5 minutes then on a cooling rack.