I love squash – all varieties – which is probably the reason I grow so much of it! I’m still using last fall’s harvest and I love the fact that it lasts me throughout winter. Since I have a plethora on hand, I’m always experimenting with new ways to use it. Honestly, just roasted is delicious, but I can’t let well enough alone.
Hummus is a dish that you can make out of nearly anything, or at least I do. Butternut squash is the center point of this hummus, which makes it sweet but also savory. I also love to use spices to provide additional flavor and especially my new favorite spice: smoked pepper! I know this isn’t something you probably stock in your pantry, but it is such a game-changer for me and I highly recommend it!
I eat this with anything: pita chips, vegetables, and almost as a side dish. I know it sounds like a stretch, but I think you will fall in love with it the way I have. You may not have hand-grown squash, but thankfully grocery stores still stock it. And what a better reason to buy some!
Watch how to make this butternut squash hummus
Butternut Squash Hummus
- 4 cups cubed squash
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper (I use smoked pepper)
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss cubed squash with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven until very tender, about 15-20 minutes.4 cups cubed squash, 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place garlic cloves in a foil packet and roast alongside squash until browned and soft.5 garlic cloves
- Remove squash and garlic from the oven and let cool.
- Once cooled, add squash, garlic, lemon juice, and chickpeas to a food processor. Pulse until broken up and a paste is starting to form.3 tbsp lemon juice, 1 15-oz can chickpeas
- Add tahini, salt, smoked pepper (or regular), coriander, and cumin.¼ cup tahini, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper (I use smoked pepper), 1 ½ tsp ground coriander, ¾ tsp ground cumin
- Process until completely smooth.
- Taste to adjust seasonings, oil, salt, and pepper as needed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.