If you know me at all, you know that I love to make a pie, especially during the fall season and straight on into the holiday season. But the act of rolling out a pie crust and then making a filling can be a total time consumer. Sometimes a quicker option is a welcome relief, but you never want to give up the incredible flavor that a real pie holds. Well now, with these apple pie bars, there’s no need to give up on flavor!
Pie can be made multiple ways and these bars are a new way that I’m going to be using again and again. The crust becomes crispy and granola-like and is made complete with a delicious layer of apple goodness. Just like pie, of course, the top has to be sprinkled with a streusel! I’ll warn you now, though: make these once and you’ll be hooked!
Watch how to make apple pie bars
Apple Pie Bars
For the granola crust
- 2 ¾ cups rolled oats
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter cold and cut into small pieces
For the apple pie filling
- 5 Granny Smith apples
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the crust, mix the oats, flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt together.2 ¾ cups rolled oats, 1 ¾ cups flour, ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ cup white granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt
- Add the butter and cut together using a pastry cutter, your hands, or two knives. Cut until the mixture resembles wet sand with some pea-sized pieces. Reserve 2 cups of the prepared crust and place in refrigerator.1 cup butter
- Press the remaining crust into a 10×14 inch pan (also called jelly roll size pan). Firmly and evenly press the crust, making sure to press the crust mixture up the sides of the pan.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Prepare filling by peeling, coring and thinly slicing the apples. Place the apples in rows on the cooled crust, overlapping the slices slightly.5 Granny Smith apples
- Sprinkle with flour, sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Crumble the reserved crust over the apples and finish by drizzling with maple syrup.¼ cup flour, ¼ cup white granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp allspice, ¼ cup maple syrup
- Bake in preheated oven an additional 35-45 minutes until the apples are tender when a knife is inserted.
- Remove from oven and cool one hour before enjoying them!