Table of Contents
If you know me at all, you know that I love to make a pie, especially during the fall season and straight on into the holiday season. But the act of rolling out a pie crust and then making a filling can be a total time consumer. Sometimes a quicker option is a welcome relief, but you never want to give up the incredible flavor that a real pie holds. Well now, with these apple pie bars, there’s no need to give up on flavor!
Pie can be made multiple ways and these bars are a new way that I’m going to be using again and again. The crust becomes crispy and granola-like and is made complete with a delicious layer of apple goodness. Just like pie, of course, the top has to be sprinkled with a streusel! I’ll warn you now, though: make these once and you’ll be hooked!
Watch how to make apple pie bars
Apple Pie Bars
For the granola crust
- 2 ¾ cups rolled oats
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter cold and cut into small pieces
For the apple pie filling
- 5 Granny Smith apples
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the crust, mix the oats, flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt together.2 ¾ cups rolled oats, 1 ¾ cups flour, ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ cup white granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt
- Add the butter and cut together using a pastry cutter, your hands, or two knives. Cut until the mixture resembles wet sand with some pea-sized pieces. Reserve 2 cups of the prepared crust and place in refrigerator.1 cup butter
- Press the remaining crust into a 10×14 inch pan (also called jelly roll size pan). Firmly and evenly press the crust, making sure to press the crust mixture up the sides of the pan.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Prepare filling by peeling, coring and thinly slicing the apples. Place the apples in rows on the cooled crust, overlapping the slices slightly.5 Granny Smith apples
- Sprinkle with flour, sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Crumble the reserved crust over the apples and finish by drizzling with maple syrup.¼ cup flour, ¼ cup white granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp allspice, ¼ cup maple syrup
- Bake in preheated oven an additional 35-45 minutes until the apples are tender when a knife is inserted.
- Remove from oven and cool one hour before enjoying them!
you knocked it out of the park with this one! YUM.
ps your hair rocks
Will these be too thick if baked in a 13×9 pan?