Matcha powder has slowly started showing up in so many restaurants and cafes. From teas to baked goods, people are really starting to appreciate its unique flavor. If you haven’t tried it, matcha powder is completely worth it. With notes of strong green tea and a more natural edge, it really adds a great flavor that is refreshing and, for me, screams summer. This is why I just had to make an ice cream with it!
Thankfully this recipe doesn’t freeze hard, but always stays a delicious scoop-able consistency! Serve with a dusting of cinnamon or just by itself. This is such a refreshing and perfect summertime treat!
Watch how to make this matcha green tea ice cream
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
- 2 cups + 3 tbsp whole milk
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup green tea matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Combine 2 cups milk and cream in a 4-quart kettle. A large kettle is important so the mixture does not boil over!2 cups + 3 tbsp whole milk, 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- Add the sugar, corn syrup, and salt.⅔ cup sugar, 2 tbsp corn syrup, ½ tsp salt
- Place over medium-high to high heat and stir frequently so the mixture does not scorch.
- While the mixture is heating, whisk the reserved 3 tablespoons milk and cornstarch until dissolved (this creates a cornstarch slurry). Bring the milk mixture to a boil. It seems wrong to boil the milk but this works! Let the mixture boil well, stirring constantly for a few minutes. After 2-3 minutes, remove from heat and whisk in the cornstarch slurry.2 cups + 3 tbsp whole milk, 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Once mixed in, place back on medium heat until the mixture just begins to bubble. This lets you know the cornstarch has been activated.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and matcha powder. Drop in the cinnamon stick and let steep. If you like the cinnamon flavor, keep them in overnight. If not, remove it after one hour.¼ cup green tea matcha powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 cinnamon sticks
- Chill the ice cream base fully before freezing.
- When ready to freeze, remove from the refrigerator and follow the instructions on your maker. My KitchenAid attachment takes about 25 minutes.
- At this point, the ice cream is a soft-serve consistency. Place in a deep freeze to chill fully.
- Adapted from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home