Table of Contents
A good burger should not be about additional ingredients that cover up nonexistent flavors. Instead, a good burger starts with good ground beef. Some people choose to have a special cut ground specifically for them by their butcher. That makes a burger slightly more time-consuming. Instead, choose to look for ground beef that is good quality.
What is good-quality ground beef?
When trying to find good-quality ground beef, look for grass-fed, sustainably raised beef. This kind of beef is often grown using regenerative farming practices. Grass-fed beef also has high omega fats, sometimes as high as wild-caught salmon. More importantly, the flavor will be unmatched.
The ingredients in these grilled burgers
- Ground beef is the entire point of burgers. For the best flavor, choose ground beef that’s 80-85% lean. The fat content is important to achieve juicy burgers. Fat also carries flavor and will result in a better-tasting burger.
- Beef bouillon is a secret way to increase the natural beef flavor in the burgers. Personally, I look for the Better Than Bouillon brand beef base. This product is created in a stock that cooks beef with some vegetables. It’s then condensed to create rich beef bouillon.
- Dried minced onion provides instant onion flavor without any crunchy raw onion. Raw onion in burgers often doesn’t fully cook on the grill, so this is a great alternative.
- Neutral oil, such as grapeseed, canola, or vegetable oil, is an oil that has no flavor. Personally, I use avocado even though it does impart a bit of flavor. A little bit of oil provides richness to the meat and helps the burgers not to stick to the grill.
- Salt is one of the most important ingredients. It seasons the meat and brings out more flavor than any other ingredient. Once the burgers are placed on the grill, make sure to salt the outside of the burger as well.
Summer is the time for grilling and grilling is for burgers. A good burger recipe will be with you for life and be used time and again. This recipe is simple, carefree, and full of flavor. I guess it’ll be with you for life!
Watch how to make these grilled burgers
The Best Grilled Burgers
- 2 lb ground beef (80-85% lean)
- 1 tbsp beef bouillon
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef, beef bouillon, dried minced onion, oil, salt, and pepper. Mix together, making sure the ingredients are well combined. Weigh out or visually create 6-8 equal balls, depending on the number of burgers desired. Press the balls into patties, about ½-inch thick. The patties can be made several hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator until ready to grill.2 lb ground beef (80-85% lean), 1 tbsp beef bouillon, 1 tbsp dried minced onion, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp neutral oil, ½ tsp pepper
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Oil the grates and place patties on the grate. Let cook for 3-5 minutes per side depending on personal preference. Once grilled, remove the burgers from the grill and serve.