Mother’s Day means something different to each of us. Maybe you celebrate your birth mother, grandmother, mentor or you yourself are now a mom. For me, Mother’s Day is a day to celebrate the amazing mother figures in our lives. I have numerous strong women in my life that I can thank for providing a mothering role. I’m so lucky to be friends with my mom and live so close to her – sometimes too close.
Mom has inspired and fed many of my passions and is a constant cheerleader for me. The earliest memories with her are in the kitchen, watching her and always wanting to help! I felt it was fitting for us to make this rhubarb crisp together in honor of her, my endless encourager!
This is delicious served warm or at room temperature. Personally, this is always my breakfast the next day as well, at least if there is any leftover.
Watch how to make this rhubarb berry crisp
Rhubarb & Berry Crisp
For the crisp
- 4 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp minute tapioca
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the crumble topping
- ¾ cup spelt flour (can also use all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×9 baking dish and set aside.
- Mix together the cleaned and prepared rhubarb, raspberries, and blueberries. Add the sugar, tapioca, lemon zest, lemonn juice, and vanilla. Pour into the prepared baking dish and prepare the crumble topping.4 cups finely chopped rhubarb, 1 cup raspberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1 tbsp lemon zest, 2 tbsp lemon juice, ½ cup sugar, 3 tbsp minute tapioca, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the flour, oats, white sugar, brown sugar, cardamom, and salt. Mix together and add the butter. Using fingers, combine the butter and dry ingredients until completely combined. Evenly sprinkle the crumble over the fruit.½ cup sugar, ¾ cup spelt flour (can also use all-purpose flour), 1 cup rolled oats, ½ cup dark brown sugar, 1 tsp ground cardamom, 1 tsp salt, ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Place the baking dish on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven until bubbling throughout and browned on top, 45-60 minutes. If the top gets too brown, cover with foil.
- Remove from oven and cool 30 minutes to one hour.