Table of Contents
I’m not usually a person who likes help in the kitchen. Everyone who knows me is rolling their eyes: they of course know that I don’t ever like help. I want to think I would be a person who invites friends over and, in a laid-back fashion, they join me in the kitchen to finish preparing the meal. That isn’t me. I make lists, prepare in advance, and am usually anxious while getting ready for friends to arrive.
All this changes when my nieces and nephew visit from out of state. Although I may try as hard as I can, it’s impossible to pre-plan with kids. (Every parent reading this is no doubt nodding their head in agreement and saying “um…yeah!”) No matter how much I want perfection, kids bring out the unplanned. While there are moments I edge on annoyance (it’s the perfectionist in me), in the end, I love it when they visit! I especially love:
- the mess they make
- the laughter they create
- the “help” they so willingly offer in the kitchen
Pizza is a great way to let kids help out. They can press the dough, put on toppings and easily customize the pizza’s flavors. So this homemade roasted vegetable pizza is the perfect way to engage my nieces and nephew in the kitchen. I hope it’s the start of a lifetime of love for food prep!
Once you make this pizza, make sure to do the following:
- Leave me a comment letting me know how the pizza turned out for you.
- Rate the recipe – any number of stars will do!
Homemade Roasted Vegetable Pizza
- 1 recipe basic pizza dough
- 1 small zucchini cut in half lengthwise then sliced in ¼-inch pieces
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 red beet thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp minced basil leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place prepared zucchini, red pepper, beet, and onion on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat oil on vegetables and spread into an even layer. Roast in preheated oven until tender and beginning to caramelize, 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Prepare pizza sauce by combining the tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- To make pizza, preheat oven to 400°F with a pizza stone.
- Roll out dough into one large 18-inch circle or two 12-inch circles. If you don’t have a pizza stone, roll pizza dough onto a baking pan. Once at desired size, bake pizza crust until set and dry to the touch, 7 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Spread an even layer of pizza sauce on top of baked crust (¼ cup on smaller crusts and ½ cup on larger). Top with roasted vegetables, mozzarella, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Bake until the cheese is melted and golden, 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool five minutes, and cut into pieces.