The cherries are coming to an end on The Farm. Just one of my trees produced about 15 gallons of cherries! That’s a lot of fruit, and I definitely shared it with friends and family, but also put away many quarts in the freezer and made a lot of sweet treats for guests. A favorite is always cherry pie: it’s just so iconic and characteristic of the essence of summer. Making a pie does not have to be overwhelming or stressful but can instead be fun and simple.
This recipe focuses on cherries, making them the stars. The pie is chocked full of fruit. I always think it is so pointless to eat a pie that is mostly thickening, so this pie is mostly fruit. When baked, the juices become the natural filling!
Enjoy this with our great homemade vanilla ice cream, and you will be in heaven. It’s the perfect summer dessert!
Watch how to make this simple cherry pie:
Simple Cherry Pie
- 6 cups fresh (or frozen) tart cherries, pitted
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 recipe pie crust + 1 extra for topping (if desired)
- Mix together the cherries, sugar, and cornstarch. Add the vanilla and almond extract.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. Dot the top of the pie with two tablespoons of cold butter cut in small pieces. This can easily be done by hand, breaking off little pieces.
- Finish the pie with the top crust. I prefer to do a lattice crust on a cherry pie; it just seems to go together so perfectly. If a lattice seems too time-consuming, do a simple top crust or even a quick crumb crust. Any option will work.
- Bake in a 400°F preheated oven for 30 minutes. Then turn to 375°F and bake for another 1 to 1 ½ hours. If the pie crust is cooking too fast, cover the top of the pie with foil so the crust does not burn. I always set this pie on a cookie sheet lined with parchment because it will be full and could run over.
- After the pie is done, remove from the oven and let cool before cutting. Serve with fresh vanilla ice cream for the perfect summer finish.