I hate the idea of only one day to celebrate mothers. Personally, I cannot celebrate all the things my mom has done for me in one day! While I am an adult, I still try to make breakfast for my mom but don’t always catch her still in bed. This is a simple breakfast item of roasted fruit and a sabayon sauce. Roasting the fruit brings out the natural flavors and topped with this sauce, you’ll be wanting to make this all the time. The name sounds complicated but honestly – and I mean this – anyone can make this! Whether for your mom or not, I know this will be a hit!
Watch how to make this roasted berries with sabayon:
Roasted Berries with Sabayon
For the berries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup strawberries, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp baking sugar, regular granulated sugar works as well
- 1 tbsp Cointreau (orange liqueur)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- t tsp orange zest
For the sabayon
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup baking sugar, regular granulated sugar works as well
- ⅓ cup white wine, Marsala or Moscato d'Asti are traditional, water or lemon-lime soda works as a substitute
- 1 tbsp Cointreau, or freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ tsp salt
For the roasted berries
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place cleaned berries in a large bowl. Add sugar, Cointreau, orange juice and orange zest and toss together.
- Pour on a baking sheet and place in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until the fruit is just softened. While berries are roasting, make the sabayon.
For the sabayon
- Mix yolks and sugar to combine and become frothy.
- Add wine, Cointreau, and salt.
- Mix well and place over simmering water, making sure water is not touching the bottom of the yolk mixture. Constantly whisk the mixture to incorporate air and bring it to 160°F. The sauce will become thick. If unsure, check with an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Place prepared berries in individual serving dishes and top with a generous amount of sabayon sauce. If desired, brûlée the top by sprinkling on a little sugar and quickly torching or setting under the broiler.
- Garnish with mint and enjoy!