Rhubarb is such a unique vegetable that is used mainly as a fruit in cobblers and desserts. Making this recipe brings back so much nostalgia for me (and hopefully many of you) of both grandmas and my mom preparing amazing sweets with this deliciously tart stalk.
This rhubarb coffee cake is an old family recipe that we make so often throughout the summer, I cannot even find my original recipe! Perfect with coffee or served as a great dessert, make this cake for your guests and be sure to have the recipe ready to give out!
Watch how to make this rhubarb coffee cake:
Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Add egg and mix.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, in approximately three to four iterations.
- Finely fold in rhubarb.
- Last, add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Butter and flour a Bundt pan, tapping out any excess flour. Add approximately ¾ of the batter then sprinkle in cinnamon and sugar mixture. Add remaining batter, spreading with a spatula to smooth.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and a cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean.