Let’s face it: recipes are endless today. The internet is laden with so many options. I love to draw inspiration and create new and different dishes from the many recipes I read through daily. While I am always trying new foods, I also have staples that bring comfort and can be made quickly. Usually, they are recipes I grew up with, that I remember my mom and grandma making.
These are recipes I have coined as “basics” – ones that I keep going back to (sometimes tweaking because a recipe is never truly finished) and making again and again. Some are comfort foods and others are staples that I feel any home cook would want to know.
First up is homemade chocolate pudding. It’s so useful and so much more delicious than anything from a box! Used as a dessert or a snack, it’s a simple comforting staple!
I love this pudding on its own as a snack or folded with whipped cream for a quick and easy mousse-like dessert. This also makes an amazing chocolate pie filling: just fill a pre-baked pie shell with the warm filling and chill. Top with whipped cream and serve. I remember this as the ultimate comfort food growing up and you will soon realize there is nothing like homemade pudding!
Watch how to make this chocolate pudding:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup flour
- 4 tbsp Dutch process cocoa
- 4 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks beaten
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk white sugar, brown sugar, flour, and cocoa to break up any clumps and combine. Whisk in milk and a pinch of salt.
- Set on medium-high heat, whisking occasionally. Whisk until the mixture becomes thick, 8-10 minutes. Whisk in egg yolks, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until the pudding becomes very thick and just begins to bubble, 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, chocolate chips, espresso powder, and vanilla. Stir until chips are melted and the pudding is smooth.
- Before chilling, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on pudding to prevent a "skin" from forming. Chill completely.