Table of Contents
Plain croutons will pale in comparison to these grilled cheese croutons! Simply prepare a pepper jam and three-cheese grilled cheese and slice it into bite-sized pieces. When dunked in soup or tossed on a salad, they add a perfect level of cheesy deliciousness!
Everything you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Bread can be either store-purchased or homemade. This is a chance to use something special or unique.
- Pepper jam adds a hint of sweetness and spice while elevating the grilled cheese to a gourmet specialty.
- Brie cheese is rich and buttery and becomes gooey when melted. It can be strong on its own but offers a perfect addition when mixed with other cheeses.
- Gruyère cheese has a nutty flavor and is harder, which comes from a longer aging timeline.
- Sharp cheddar cheese is more traditional for a grilled cheese. The sharp varieties can stand well against the other two cheeses.
Here’s how to make this recipe.
- Prepare the bread. Butter one side of two slices of bread. Optionally, spread pepper jam on the other side.
- Add the cheese. Shred the sharp cheddar cheese and Gruyère cheese over the top. Slice thin pieces of Brie and place on top as well. Add another slice of bread to enclose the sandwich.
- Grill and slice. Place the sandwich on a large skillet on medium heat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until both sides are golden brown. Slice the grilled cheese into small pieces, about 9 cubes, and serve alone or with tomato soup.
Frequently asked questions about this recipe.
Yes, there is no limit to the cheese combinations that can be used. Try various favorite cheeses to find your own mixture.
Yes, mayonnaise browns very well when used in place of butter and offers a different flavor.
These are just like grilled cheese and are best served immediately for the crispest texture and melted interior.
Have I convinced you to make this recipe?
I hope you make this recipe and put some food on your table. Leave a comment and share a star rating so you let others know how much you love this recipe. This helps show others that this is a recipe they too can make, enjoy, and love!
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 2 pieces sliced bread
- 2 tsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp pepper jam
- 2 tbsp shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp shredded Gruyére cheese
- 2 slices Brie cheese
- Preheat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread the pepper jam on one un-buttered side and place the cheeses on top. Place the other piece of bread on the buttered side facing out.2 tsp salted butter, 1 tbsp pepper jam, 2 tbsp shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp shredded Gruyére cheese, 2 slices Brie cheese, 2 pieces sliced bread
- Add the sandwich to the heated skillet and cook until the bread is browned, 2-3 minutes. Flip the sandwich over and cook until the bread is browned and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Remove the sandwich from the skillet.
- Cut into nine squares and serve on top of tomato soup.