Since I can remember, my family has always given my mom breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day. Dad would wake us up early in the morning and my sister Kelsey and I would put together something special and take it to mom on a tray. As I grew older, I started to put more care and thought into the menu and the presentation, culminating in a wonderful and sumptuous stuffed French toast this year. Delicious French toast with lemon-flavored mascarpone cheese filling and served with fresh berries makes the perfect Mother’s Day breakfast!
Watch how to make this stuffed French toast:
Whether making this for your mom or the whole family, everyone will love this toast. Make sure to let your mom know how important she is to you this Mother’s Day with a special breakfast or meal and (hopefully) some quality time together!
Stuffed French Toast
For the French toast batter
- 6 1-inch slices French bread
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp orange juice concentrate
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp cinnamon
For the mascarpone cheese filling
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese), room temperature
- zest of one medium lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Beat the egg and add juice concentrate, cream, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix mascarpone cheese, zest, juice, and sugar until light and fluffy and the sugar dissolves.
- To assemble toast, heat a heavy skillet over medium heat on the stove. For one serving, take two pieces of French bread (I use homemade but purchased bread will work well as well) and place them in the batter for 5-10 seconds. Take the bread out and spread 2-3 tablespoons of the mascarpone cheese filling on the dry side of one piece. Top with the other slice of bread, the dry side facing the cheese filling.
- Place assembled toast in a heated skillet for about 2-4 minutes per side until golden brown and the center cheese filling starts to ooze.