Table of Contents
I grew up in the Midwest and if you’re from the Midwest, you know what Rice Krispies are but you hardly ever make them. Instead, you make scotcharoos, a Rice Krispie bars’ older cousin.
This Rice Krispies recipe is a marriage with the best of each recipe. The main ingredients are like most other Rice Krispies: marshmallows and butter. But the addition of peanut butter gives just enough richness and makes them extra special!
Do these have to be decorated for Halloween?
No, these can be made for any holiday… or no holiday at all. The white chocolate drizzled across the top can be omitted completely or colored for any occasion. The thing to remember with white chocolate is that it can scorch and burn very quickly. Heat it up in the microwave in 15-second increments, stirring in between each increment, until it is just melted. Then it will be all good to go!
What if the Rice Krispies stick to my hands?
Once the marshmallows and butter are mixed together with the Rice Krispies, the mixture becomes very sticky. An essential step is to grease the pan and your hands very well. Once greased, the mixture will easily be pressed into the prepared pan with minimal sticking to your hands. This makes the whole process much easier!
Watch how to make these peanut butter Rice Krispie treats
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 tbsp butter
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 20 ounces small marshmallows
- 12 oz Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 cups M&M candies
- 8 oz white chocolate
- food coloring (optional)
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with softened butter and set aside.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter and peanut butter over medium heat, 4-6 minutes. Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until melted and smooth, 3-4 minutes.8 tbsp butter, ½ cup peanut butter, 20 ounces small marshmallows
- Once melted, remove from the heat and add the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until combined and slightly cooled, 1-2 minutes. Add the M&M candies and stir. Pour and press into the prepared baking dish.12 oz Rice Krispies cereal, 2 cups M&M candies
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave, heating in 15-second increments, stirring in between each heating. Once all melted and smooth, add the food coloring of choice and drizzle over the bars.8 oz white chocolate, food coloring (optional)
- Cool for 10 minutes, then cut, and serve.