Table of Contents
Young or old, there is something special about mint chocolate chip ice cream! For kids, I think it’s the bits of chocolate candy. For adults, it’s the smooth and creamy mint flavor. Either way, this is an all-time favorite that can easily be adapted to make at home. And just between you and me, I think mine tastes better than any boughten!
Watch how to make this mint chocolate chip ice cream:
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup crème de menthe liqueur
- ½-1 tsp pure mint extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Whisk eggs with sugar until light and fluffy. An electric mixer makes the whisking much quicker. Add milk, cream, liquor and mint extract (and food coloring if using). You can choose to leave out the liquor and add more mint extract and green food coloring.
- Mix together and chill for 2-4 hours. Right before you stop the ice cream maker, add the mini chocolate chips. If you add them before you start to mix, the machine could get clogged.
- To freeze, follow the manufacturer’s instructions on your ice cream maker. Mine takes about 20-30 minutes.
- Once frozen, you will need to place in a deep freezer for 2-4 hours for a hard freeze. Ice cream freezers can only achieve a soft-serve consistency.