At most parties that I host, I usually serve coffee with (or after) dessert. However, a warm summer event calls for something different and an affogato is the answer! Smooth, creamy and with a shot of espresso, these are the perfect ending to a great meal.
You don’t have to make your own gelato, but your effort will impress your guests all the more. And honestly, nothing tastes better than homemade. These affogatos can be served as nightcaps or with dessert. They are perfect in the summer with a warm evening, hopefully, while watching fireworks!
Watch how to make these homemade affogatos:
For the vanilla gelato
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
For the each affogato
- 1 – 1 ½ cups vanilla gelato
- 1 ½ oz espresso
- 1 splash amaretto
- Place milk and cream in a heavy-bottomed pan on the stove and heat on medium until the mixture just begins to steam. While milk is heating, whisk egg yolks with sugar, salt, and corn starch until just light and fluffy.
- When the milk is ready, slowly ladle some milk into egg yolks to temper them (which means bringing them to the warm temperature without cooking them). After a few ladles, add eggs back to milk and set back on the stove. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 6-8 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and chill for at least eight hours. Freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- To assemble each affogato, add 2-3 scoops of the gelato to a glass. Pour in a splash of amaretto and a shot of espresso. Serve immediately.