Table of Contents
A good Brussels sprout has a soft, almost creamy, interior and a crispy exterior. In restaurants, when we fall in love with a Brussels sprout appetizer, they’re often deep-fried to provide that exterior with a perfectly crisp texture. At home, I don’t want to mess with frying and also want my Brussels sprouts to be somewhat healthy.
These oven-fried Brussels sprouts have all of the same goodness as a restaurant, but with little effort!
Important things to keep in mind when making these Brussels sprouts
The most important step with these is to use a convection oven setting if you have one. If not, don’t worry! They’ll be wonderful either way. Halfway through the baking, turn them over to ensure that they brown on both sides.
The resulting brown to dark-brown (or almost black) finished Brussels sprout is up to the maker! If you like extra crispy skin, you can leave them in longer!
The ingredients in these honey Brussels sprouts
- Brussels sprouts need their ends to be trimmed off and sliced in half. This makes sure they’ll roast evenly with plenty of surface area for the oil to caramelize in the oven. It’s also super important to make sure the Brussels sprouts are dry before adding the oil so it adheres. That old adage of oil and water don’t mix is very true in this case!
- Avocado oil is a high-heat oil that does not have a strong flavor. These Brussels are going into a hot oven and certain oils are not meant for such high temperatures. If those oils are exposed to lots of high heat, they’ll become butter. The oil is essential in creating a crispy exterior through caramelization.
- Honey balances the Brussels sprouts’ strong flavor and helps provide a deeper brown crust in the oven.
- Salt is essential when roasting any vegetable. The salt brings out the flavor of the vegetable and can help provide a crispier exterior.
- Pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder give a little flavor boost by seasoning the Brussels sprouts. The important part is to use just enough seasoning that there’s a hint of special flavor without being overpowering.
Crispy Honey Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F. If using a convection oven, preheat to 400°F.
- In a bowl, toss the prepared Brussels sprouts with the oil, honey, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Toss to evenly coat all of the Brussels sprouts. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.1 lb Brussels sprouts, 2 tbsp avocado oil, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder
- Place in the preheated oven and roast until the tops are becoming browned, 8-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the Brussels sprouts over to ensure even browning. Return to the oven and continue to roast until all sides are evenly golden or deep golden brown, 8-12 minutes.