Table of Contents
I love it when my nieces visit The Farm. Their humor and personalities give me so much joy! Every time we’re together they want to bake together and I have no problem with that! I’ve made this previously but hadn’t brought it to you in a video. So I’ve updated the recipe just slightly but this is still the cake I grew up with. When you have an abundance of zucchini – and if you grow it, you most certainly do – this is a perfect way to use it!
Watch how to make this chocolate zucchini cake:
Have I convinced you to make this recipe?
I hope you make this recipe and put some food on your table. Leave a comment and share a star rating so you let others know how much you love this recipe. This helps show others that this is a recipe they too can make, enjoy, and love!
Chocolate & Zucchini Cake
For the cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup neutral oil
- 1 ¾ cups white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk or sour milk (2 tsp vinegar with ½ cup milk)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups grated zucchini seeds removed
- ½ cup chocolate chips (miniature variety preferred)
For the ganache
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup heavy cream
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare zucchini by cutting off ends, scooping out seeds, and grating. Set aside. I like to leave the skin on but it can also be peeled.
- Cream together butter, oil, and sugar until light and fluffy, 4 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla, and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients with the milk in three additions, beginning and ending with the dry.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spray pans with nonstick baking spray and fill with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 20 minutes. I used miniature Bundt pans, which makes approximately 18 cakes. You can also make one large Bundt cake. Increase baking time to 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack.
For the ganache
- Prepare ganache by heating cream until steaming.
- Pour over the chopped chocolate and stir until smooth and melted.
- Drizzle ganache on slightly cooled cakes.
Watched you cook this cake last night you made it look so easy I want to try it this weekend. I love your show
Ty DELICIOUS 🎃🤗
Love your recipes! Thank you.
Most zucchini recipes call for wringing the zucchini dry before using it. Did you dry yours in this recipe?
Tried this today and it was a huge and amazing success! My 7 yr granddaughter who has such a negative attitude towards fruits and vegetables, that have to hide them in her food just loved this cake so much she wanted seconds. When her aunt, my daughter told her it had zucchini in it her mind was blown and still wanted more and a bigger piece.
I have admit I did make some minor changes. I added espresso and exchanged brown sugar for granulated sugar. I also only used one egg verses two.
This cake was moist and super fudge.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Love this recipe. Been watching your videos on Facebook. Was wondering if there’s a way to make as cupcakes? What the baking time would be if its possible? Its for a pandemic treat to give as gifts to my hard working colleagues. Thanks. – Jo
Just made the chocolate cake. Its amazing!!!
This is the first time I made this. Next time, I will not add the cloves. I may not add the cinnamon, either. Other than that, pretty good!
Love watching your videos ! I’ve learned a lot and found things that we do the same way . Thank you for doing this ! Always watching from WVa
Have this in the oven now! I will say it has a different aroma, probably from the cloves. But I can’t wait to taste it! Bringing it out now and letting it cool. I am also making the ganache because, well, why not!