The unofficial start to fall has come and gone (where did summer go?!), but the garden is still producing at full force. We have had a spectacular season of rain and everything has stayed so green and flourished in near-perfect growing conditions. My tomatoes have grown so tall that they outgrew the cages I placed around them and are almost laying over! And I’m picking gorgeous fruit every day.
There are so many options for using tomatoes: canned salsa, plain juice, soups, and spaghetti sauce. But sometimes the simplest meal can be made with these amazing varieties. My favorite quick meal or side dish for company is these simply dressed tomatoes. Use your favorite heirloom varieties not just for the beautiful color, but also for the sweeter flavor.
This seems so simple and easy and it really is! But so often, we forget to enjoy the natural flavors of the season or we cover them up with too many seasonings. Enjoy the fruit as it should be before summer is completely gone!
Watch how to make these simply dressed tomatoes
Simply Dressed Tomatoes
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 oz feta cheese
- Slice the tomatoes thinly in alternating colors.2 heirloom tomatoes
- Drizzle heavily with as good of extra virgin olive oil as you can afford. The better the oil, the better the natural flavor (it really does make a difference)!1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle with flaky salt, such as Maldon.½ tsp sea salt
- Add some feta cheese, if you so choose.1 oz feta cheese