After working a long day, the last thing you want to think about is dinner. But you want something homemade, delicious, and quick! What better than a roast chicken?! It may sound like a long process, but this goes together in a cinch and is gorgeous enough for company or just a simple night in.
Watch how to make this roast chicken recipe:
This dish will fill your house with an unbelievable aroma and anyone who eats this will fall in love!
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 lb organic chicken
- 2 lemons
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 extra large onion
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano (optional)
- 3 tbsp butter
- Rinse chicken under cool running water. Remove and giblets and pat dry with a paper towel. Trim excess fat from the tail area and discard. Set chicken aside.
- Drizzle bottom of the roasting dish with olive oil and spread around to evenly coat the bottom. Cut ends of onion, peel the outer layer and slice in ½- to 1-inch thick pieces. Lay onions in roasting dish to use as a natural roasting rack.
- To prepare chicken, salt and pepper the open cavity. Then quarter one or two small lemons and place a few pieces inside. Cut one head of garlic in half, exposing cloves and place inside the chicken. Place 3-4 sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and oregano inside the chicken along with the rest of the lemon and garlic. You may need to stuff the contents slightly. Place chicken on onions and rub the entire outside of the bird with the softened butter. Season again with salt and pepper. Tuck wings under the bird to hold in place.
- If desired, place another cut-up lemon, any remaining herbs, and another head of garlic around the bird. Roasted garlic turns into a spreadable consistency, which is great on crusty bread. Place into a preheated 425°F oven, uncovered, for 1 to 1½ hours, depending on the size of the chicken. The skin will render and turn a gorgeous dark brown and the juices will run clear when the bird is poked under the leg.