There’s something so perfect about the pairing of fruit and herbs and this lemon thyme ice cream is an example of just that! Flavored with lemon extract and zest, it’s a bright pop of citrus flavor that’s summertime ready!
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mira-Cleer
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (approximately one lemon)
- 2 small sprigs thyme leaves
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine the 2 cups milk, heavy cream, corn syrup, and salt. Whisk to combine and place over medium heat.
- While the milk mixture is heating, in a separate bowl, combine the reserved 2 tablespoons milk and Mira-Cleer. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Bring the milk mixture to a rolling boil and continue to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the Mira-Cleer slurry. Return to heat and bring back to a rolling boil. It is essential the mixture comes back to a rolling boil to activate the thickener.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon oil, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and thyme sprigs. Stir to combine and steep for 20 minutes.
- Once steeped, remove the thyme sprigs and pour the ice cream base into an airtight container. Cover and chill for 6-8 hours. The ice cream base can be stored for up to 48 hours.
- Once ready to chill, follow the manufacturer’s instructions with the ice cream maker. Churn approximately 25 minutes. Enjoy immediately as soft serve or pour into an airtight container and place in freezer 4-6 hours for a hard serve.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 27.2g
- Sodium: 330.8mg
- Fat: 15.4g
- Saturated Fat: 9.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 28.5g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 48.1mg
Keywords: lemon, thyme, summer, ice cream