This brown butter orange sage ice cream is a perfect pairing of citrus notes and warm flavors. It’s a unique treat that will soon be a favorite!
- 1 cup brown butter
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mira-Cleer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup sage leaves
- To brown the butter, melt 2 sticks butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Once melted, continue to slowly cook until the butter begins to bubble. Allow butter to bubble until the foam subsides, the milk solids have turned an amber color, and the butter has a nutty smell, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine the 2 cups milk, heavy cream, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Whisk to combine and place over medium heat.
- While the milk mixture is heating, in a separate bowl combine the reserved 2 tablespoons milk and Mira-cleer. Then whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring the milk mixture to a rolling boil and continue to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the Mira-cleer slurry. Return to heat and bring back to a rolling boil. It is essential the mixture comes back to a rolling boil to activate the thickener.
- Remove from heat and add the prepared browned butter. Use an immersion blender or countertop blender to emulsify the butter and ice cream base.
- Add the vanilla extract, orange extract, orange zest, and sage leaves. Stir to combine and steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the ice cream base into an airtight container, removing all the sage leaves. Cover and chill 6-8 hours. The ice cream base can be stored for up to 48 hours.
- Once ready to chill, follow the manufacturer’s instructions with the ice cream maker. Churn approximately 25 minutes. Enjoy immediately as soft serve or pour into an airtight container and place in freezer 4-6 hours for a hard serve.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 404
- Sugar: 26.9g
- Sodium: 330.6mg
- Fat: 31.9g
- Saturated Fat: 19.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 28.3g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 88.7mg
Keywords: ice cream, herb, fruit