It’s all about the perfect fruit and herb pairing and that’s just what happens in this strawberry basil ice cream! To amp up the flavor, add in some peppercorns for a fun “numbing” effect!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup strawberry puree
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mira-Cleer or corn starch
- 1 cup basil leaves
- In a 4 quart saucepan, combine the 2 cups milk, heavy cream, pureed strawberries, sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Using a mortar and pestle, coarsely grind the peppercorns to slightly break up. Add the peppercorns to the milk. Whisk to combine and set over medium heat.
- As the mixture heats up, in a separate bowl, combine the reserved 2 tablespoons milk and Mira-Cleer. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Continue whisking the heating ice cream base until it comes to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat and slowly whisk in the Mira-Cleer slurry. Return to heat, allowing the mixture to come to a rolling boil. Once at a boil, remove from heat.
- Add the prepared basil leaves and stir. Steep for 20 minutes.
- Once steeped, strain the ice cream base to remove the peppercorns and basil leaves.
- Place into an airtight container and chill for 6-8 hours. The base can be chilled for up to 48 hours before freezing.
- When ready to churn, follow the manufacturer’s instructions with the ice cream maker. Churn 20-30 minutes then transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for an additional 4 hours for hard serve. Alternative, enjoy immediately as soft serve ice cream.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 28.2g
- Sodium: 332.6mg
- Fat: 15.6g
- Saturated Fat: 9.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 29.9g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 48.5mg
Keywords: ice cream