The secret to these buttermilk pancakes is the cardamom spice whisked into the batter. When paired with a fresh strawberry rhubarb sauce, there couldn’t be a better way to use up the fruit of the season!
For the pancakes
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons brown butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
For the sauce
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- To prepare the brown butter, in a small skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Bring the melted butter to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the bubbling subsides and tiny pieces of brown solids form, about 6-8 minutes. Set off the heat to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, slightly cooled brown butter, and orange zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until just combined with a few lumps remaining. Set aside and prepare the rhubarb sauce.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, orange juice, and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to simmer until the fruit has broken down and thickened into a sauce, 14-18 minutes. Keep warm while cooking the pancakes.
- To make the pancakes, preheat a griddle over medium-low heat for 6 minutes. Once heated, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Using a scoop, measure 1/4 cup of batter and drop on griddle. Cook until bubbles form around the edges and the bottom is lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Flip over and repeat on opposite side.
- Once cooked, remove from the griddle and place on a baking rack fitted in a baking sheet. Keep warm in a 200 degree Fahrenheit oven until all the pancakes are made.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 18.9g
- Sodium: 517.6mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34.1g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 59.2mg
Keywords: pancakes, brunch, breakfast