No need to make a main dish and sides. With this spinach, quinoa and salmon bowl topped with avocado and a jammy egg, it’s a complete meal in one dish!
- 1 cup black or white quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 5-ounce salmon fillets
- 3 scallions, diced
- 4 teaspoons sambal oelek (optional garnish)
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional garnish)
- lime zest (optional garnish)
For the quinoa
- In a medium kettle, combine the quinoa, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes. Cover and remove from heat.
- Steam for 5 minutes, then stir and fluff with a fork.
- While the quinoa is warm, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic clove, and pepper. Stir to combine and fold in the spinach. Cover until ready to make the bowl.
For the eggs
- In a small kettle, bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Using a slotted spoon, add the eggs and cook for exactly 6 minutes. Remove from boiling water and plunge into ice cold water to stop cooking. While the eggs are cooling, bake the salmon.
For the salmon
- Set the oven rack to the top middle of the oven and turn the broil setting to high. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
- Set the salmon fillets on the foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle evenly with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil until the salmon is just cooked, approximately 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from oven and assemble bowls.
- In each bowl, start with the quinoa and wilted spinach.
- Layer with a piece of salmon, flaked if desired.
- Remove the shell of the eggs carefully, making sure not to puncture the yolks. Place the egg on top and cut open, exposing the runny yolk.
- Garnish with scallions, avocado, and a side of sambal (a spicy chili garlic paste).
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 597
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 895.4mg
- Fat: 33.3g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31.8g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 45.1g
- Cholesterol: 258.4mg
Keywords: brunch, bowl