Made from both dark and semi-sweet chocolate, this decadent and EASY chocolate mousse recipe is perfect for Christmas! It’s light, airy and so rich!
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups and 3/4 cup heavy cream, separated
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Break the chocolate into smaller pieces. Place in a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until melted. Once melted and smooth, set aside.
- In a 4-quart heavy bottomed kettle, whisk together the egg yolks, 3/4 cup heavy cream, three tablespoons sugar and salt. Whisk to combine and set over medium-low heat. Continue to whisk over the heat until the sugar has melted and the mixture registers 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the heat.
- Strain the mousse base through a sieve to remove any lumps or cooked egg.
- Stir in vanilla extract and fold the mousse base with the melted chocolate until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Using a mixer, whip the remaining 2 cups heavy cream with two tablespoons sugar to stiff peaks, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in about 1/3 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Once combined, slowly fold in the remaining whipped cream until no streaks of cream are evident.
- To serve, spoon or pipe into individual serving dishes. This dessert can also be poured into one large dish.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill for at least 6 hours or up to 48 hours. Once chilled, serve with a dollop of whipped cream!
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 344
- Sugar: 13.9g
- Sodium: 214.6mg
- Fat: 29.2g
- Saturated Fat: 17.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 155mg
Keywords: Christmas, appetizer