Pizza was one of the first things I cooked on my own. I remember learning how to make the dough – the easiest bread dough to make – and using fresh produce from the garden to create different varieties. The more I made pizza, I more comfortable I became having people over for meals. Now that I think about it, pizza really could be the dish that gave me the entertaining bug!
Pizza is just as easy to make for eight people as it is for two and that makes it a win in my book. There are only a few meals that can easily be multiplied in case a friend shows up with an extra guest… or two! But the best part of making pizza is watching others enjoy it: the smiles that arise and the conversation that happens over a shared meal is simply irreplaceable.
Pizza is also something that’s universal. Who doesn’t love pizza? Supreme, cheese, taco (the Iowa staple)… there are endless options!
This homemade barbecue chicken pizza is a Midwest classic and once you taste it, you’ll surely understand. A sweet and smoky no-cooking-involved barbecue sauce lends the perfect complement to freshly roasted chicken breasts. Finished with red onion and a mound of cheese, this is a perfect homemade pizza.
Watch how to make homemade barbecue chicken pizza
Once you make this pizza, leave me a comment and recipe rating so I know if you liked the pizza! Also let me know if there are other additions you add to your barbecue chicken pizza.Print
This homemade barbecue chicken pizza is super simple to make and so much more delicious than delivery! It’s a homemade flatbread crust topped with barbecue sauce, cheese, red onion and of course, chicken!
- 1 recipe basic pizza dough
- 1 cup chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 ounces shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees, 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove skins and shred chicken with 2 forks. Set aside until ready to use. This can be made two days ahead and kept cold in an airtight container.
- To make the barbecue sauce, stir together the ketchup, mustard, molasses, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cayenne, liquid smoke, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- To make pizza, preheat oven to 400 degrees with a pizza stone. Roll out dough into one large 18-inch circle or two smaller 12-inch circles. If you don’t have a pizza stone, roll pizza dough onto a baking pan. Once at desired size, bake pizza crust until set and dry to the touch, 7 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Spread an even layer of barbecue sauce on top of baked crust (1/2 cup on smaller crusts and 3/4 cup on larger). Top with shredded chicken, onion and cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and golden, 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes and cut into pieces.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 1228.4mg
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 45.1g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 20.4mg
Keywords: pizza, barbecue, chicken