Dinner time can be difficult. Most days, I spend my time working at my nine to five day job or toiling in the yard for what seems like a few minutes, but in all reality is numerous hours. Suddenly it’ll be seven in the evening and I won’t really feel like making a meal. To be honest, hummus and veggies have become my go-to staple in recent years. I change it up a bit, but yeah, I do love my hummus and homegrown produce. It’s quite a change from my days growing up when we always had set meals and ate together as a family, complete with meat, potatoes and a salad.
Times change and I’ve found that since I usually cook for myself, making large meals doesn’t happen as often as it should. That’s why when I do decide to make a meal, I want it to be simple, delicious and something that’s worth the effort.
A steak and beet salad isn’t the first meal to come to most people’s mind, probably because it has been done too many times and often is on the lackluster side. Dry or tough steak, beets with no flavor on top of wilted greens: sound familiar? Enter my version of this salad, full of flavor from the quick steak marinade, a side of grilled beets full of charred flavor on top of butter lettuce and arugula. This is a salad that is a meal and worth every minute!
How do you like to enjoy summer salads? I’m always on the lookout for new inspiration so let me know in the comments what your favorites are!
[arve url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxlqMRWw-I4″ thumbnail=”15766″ title=”Grilled Flank Steak + Beets Salad” description=”Grilled flank steak and grilled beets are the perfect combination for this salad. Topped with feta and a quick vinaigrette, this is a seasonably simple summer salad.” upload_date=”06/26/2018″ /]
Want more salads? Try these:
- Grilled zucchini and onion salad with basil dressing
- Asparagus, radish and sugar pea salad
- Curry, broccoli and cauliflower salad
Grilled flank steak and grilled beets are the perfect combination for this salad. Topped with feta and a quick vinaigrette, this is a seasonably simple summer salad.
For the steak
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the beets
- 2 1/2 pounds beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 sprigs thyme (2 teaspoons)
For the salad
- 4 ounces arugula
- 4 ounces butter lettuce
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- For the steak, in a gallon size zipper plastic bag, combine the olive oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, parsley, dry mustard, garlic cloves and lemon juice.
- Add the flank steak, pressing the marinade around to ensure it has moistened all sides of the steak.
- Press out excess air and zip the bag shut. Set on a plate and place in the refrigerator to marinate 1-2 hours.
- While marinating prepare the beets.
- Trim the root and leaf ends off each beet and slice into thin wedges, no more than 1/2 inch thick. To prevent staining from the beets, wear gloves to protect hands.
- Place beets in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Stir to evenly coat and set aside until ready to grill.
- Make sure the grill has preheated on high heat. Clean the grates to ensure any charred bits are removed. Remove the marinated steak from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling to allow the meat to come to room temperature. At this point, season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Place a grill basket on the grill and start with the beets. Pour the prepared beets in a grill basket, spreading to an even layer. If basket prevents an even layer, stir and turn the beets every 15 minutes. Allow the beets to grill stirring once until they just begin to become tender, 30-45 minutes.
- Grill the steak over high heat until charred, about 6-8 minutes per side for medium rare (130-135 degrees) or 8-10 minutes per side for medium (135-140 degrees).
- When done, remove steaks from the grill onto a clean tray. Allow steak to rest 15 minutes before slicing.
- Check beets with a knife to ensure they are tender. If a knife inserted into beet meets no resistance, they are done. Remove beets to a bowl.
- While steak is resting, prepare the dressing for the beets. Add the apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and thyme to the beets, creating a dressing. Stir to combine.
- To serve, add a mixture of greens to a large platter or individual plates. Thinly slice the steak, cutting horizontally to the graining and add to the greens. Top with dressed beets and finish with crumbled blue cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 505
- Sugar: 12.7g
- Sodium: 1183.2mg
- Fat: 31.3g
- Saturated Fat: 9.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 37.7g
- Cholesterol: 100.2mg
Keywords: flank steak