Basics are items I love to have in my repertoire. They’re those dishes I can whip up without a cookbook and, after time, learn to variate and make more personal. I love homemade mayonnaise because it’s the perfect base recipe to know that can later be changed into various aiolis and dips. And honestly, homemade tastes completely different than the variations you find in the store. I know so many of us get used to the way processed and store-bought items taste and it can take time to get used to homemade. But once you’ve tried it, you will understand why it is better. It’s so fresh and made with ingredients you almost always have on hand!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 – 1 1/2 cup oil (olive oil or vegetable oil, depending on taste)
- white pepper to taste
- Using a food processor, process yolks until combined and smooth. Pulse in mustard, lemon juice, salt and sugar until the yolks have turned thick and slightly pale in color.
- With the processor running, add oil of choice in a slow steady stream untill desired consistency is reached. The type of oil you chose to use will make a difference on the flavor. Vegetable oil will give a neutral taste and olive oils will give a more dominant taste.
- Check the consistency of the mayonnaise before adding all oil. The amount of oil yolks can absorb can vary. Lastly, add white pepper to taste.
Make this your own and enjoy!